Geek 2.0 - June 01, 2020
Learn how to access AIM Mail through an email client using the IMAP settings for AIM mail as well as the SMTP settings.
AIM Mail is the free webmail service (just like an AOL email address) provided by AOL but it is not important to be an AOL member first to use AIM Mail. You can configure an email client to retrieve and send your AIM Mail messages knowing that AIM Mail strongly encourages users to send email through its own web interface.
IMAP settings for AIM mail
You must first have Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) server settings before configuring an email client to use your AIM email account. Once you discover that you cannot receive AIM mail even though you have already configured the mail client, you should then check the settings.
These are the AIM mail IMAP server settings used to access AIM mail messages and folders through any mail client:
• IMAP AIM Mail server address: imap.aim.com
• IMAP AIM email username: your full AIM email address ([email protected])
• IMAP AIM messaging password: your AIM messaging password
• IMAP AIM messaging port: 993
• AIM Mail IMAP TLS / SSL required: yes
N.B: it is possible that you can also use POP AIM Mail access but the settings differ a little bit from those indicated above if you have a POP account.
AIM Mail SMTP server settings
By configuring an email client to receive mail with IMAP, you also provide Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) settings for sending mail. The SMTP settings for sending mail for AIM Mail are as follows:
• SMTP AIM Mail server address: smtp.aim.com
• AIM mail SMTP username: your full AIM mail address (such as [email protected])
• AIM Mail SMTP password: your AIM Mail password
• AIM Mail SMTP port: 587
• AIM Mail SMTP TLS / SSL required: yes
This article tells you in advance that you will need IMAP settings to access AIM Mail through an email client. For this reason, you must have the IMAP settings for AIM mail as well as the SMTP settings for the AIM Mail server.