Geek 2.0 - May 24, 2020
By means of a few steps, you are able to manually and automatically purge deleted messages in Outlook.
It is not possible with Outlook to purge messages from the Deleted Items folder immediately which allows you to recover items from the folder inadvertently deleted. It is in the Deleted Items folder that messages accumulate until they are purged either approximately every week or according to a manually defined schedule.
The instructions in this article apply to Outlook 2019, 2016, 2913, and Outlook for office 365.
Purge automatically deleted messages in Outlook
These instructions will help you purge messages from the Automatically Deleted Items folder:
• Open Outlook and select the Deleted Items folder;
• Go to the Folder tab and select Automatic archiving parameters;
• In the Properties of deleted items dialog box, select Archive this folder using these settings;
• Change the Clean up items before setting to increase or decrease the time to permanently purge deleted items. Make a great effort to recover accidentally deleted messages. It is according to the duration for which you wish to keep the deleted messages in the Deleted items folder that you must define a purge period either of a few days, or a week or a month.
• Select Permanently delete old items;
• Select OK to finish and save the settings;
• Deleted messages are moved to the Deleted Items folder and are marked for deletion. After the time interval you have defined, messages are deleted automatically. Note that Outlook only purges messages when you are working online and not offline.
Purge manually deleted messages
Use the manual approach in case you do not want to purge messages automatically:
• Right-click on the Deleted Items folder;
• Select Empty folder;
• Select Yes in the confirmation dialog;
• All items in the Deleted Items folder are purged at the same time.
As mentioned above, the automatic purge of emails only works when you are online. We teach you the right way to automatically purge deleted messages in Outlook and how this purge of deleted messages is done manually. Follow the instructions.