Geek 2.0 - May 23, 2020
Learn how to manage push notifications on iPhone as well as AMBER and emergency alert notifications on iPhone.
It is not important to check your mailbox every time to see if there are some important messages entered there. It not only takes too long but it is also annoying. This is how push notifications provide you with smart apps that can let you know when to check your mailbox. Push notifications are made by sending alerts that appear on the application icons in the form of badges, sounds or messages that appear on the home or lock screens of the iOS device.
N.B: the instructions in this article apply to iOS 11 or later.
How to manage push notifications on iPhone
The default activation of push notifications is done within the framework of iOS. To that, it's up to you to choose in which applications you want to receive notifications and the type of alerts they send. Follow this procedure to answer this question:
Open the Settings application by pressing it;
To display the applications installed on the phone that support notifications, click Notifications;
Click on Show previews and choose when you want notifications to appear.
• Always: you will only get alerts if your phone is locked or unlocked.
• When unlocked: allows you not to see alerts on your lock screen and to minimize interruptions or preserve confidentiality.
• Never: You will never see alerts displayed on your phone again.
After returning to the main notifications settings, click on the application you want to modify in the settings, then activate Allow notifications toggle the switch to reveal the notification options for the application.
N.B: deactivate the Allow toggle switch notifications option in case you do not want to see push notifications in the application.
In iOS 12, select the types of alerts you want to use in the Alerts section. Next to the types of active alerts you will see a check mark.
• Lock the screen: it is only when you lock your phone that you will see alerts appear.
• Notification center: all your alerts will go to your notification center. You can display them on your lock screen or by swiping up from the top of your screen.
• Banners: it is only when you unlock your phone that you will see alerts appear.
To define the duration of display notifications on the screen, click on Banner style (titled in iOS 11 Display as Banners), then click on one of these options:
• Temporary: this will make your notifications appear briefly and disappear automatically.
• Persistent: this keeps your notifications on the screen until you dismiss or touch them.
Several parameters are at your disposal allowing you to make modifications for notifications in particular:
• To have iPhone emit noise when receiving notifications from the Rocker Switch app, turn on Sounds. You cannot hear the sounds emitted by the notifications if You use your iPhone in silent mode except AMBER, emergency or public security alerts if they are activated.
• To display a red number on the application icon when it contains notifications, activate the badges switch.
• To control whether notifications are displayed on the phone screen when it is locked, click Show previews. You are advised to use this setting for items that require special or important attention, such as voice messages and calendar events. For personal or sensitive information, disable this setting.
• To view previous notifications for this application in the Notification Center, enable Show history. In iOS 12, this app is not available.
• To group notifications automatically, by application or not at all, select Group notifications in iOS 12.
If you want to allow notifications for each application, repeat the same process but be aware that not all applications have the same options. Some applications have less and others like Calendar and Mail for example have more. You can proceed to test your settings to make sure the notifications have been set up the way you want.
Manage AMBER and emergency alert notifications on iPhone
You'll find at the bottom of the main notifications screen more toggle switches controlling your alert preference :
You are informed by the teaching given throughout this article on how you can customize push notifications in order to balance the alerts for adequate and maximum utility. You have learned how to manage push notifications on iPhone and how to manage AMBER and emergency alert notifications on iPhone.