Geek 2.0 - May 28, 2020
Simple method to configure the Mail application to access Gmail. So carefully follow the instructions given here.
The macOS Mail app is like many other email clients, but it allows you to add email accounts from your preferred email provider, so you can send and receive email easily. All this to tell you that you can access Mail using your Gmail account.
Make your choice if you are going to access your Gmail account by IMAP or POP using Gmail on your Mac. Follow the instructions below:
Go to the Mail menu and choose Add account ... from the options;
Select Google in the Choose an email account provider ... screen;
Click on Continue;
Type your Gmail email address when prompted, then click Next;
Enter your Gmail account password in the space provided, then click Next. If two-step authentication is enabled, enter the code received by SMS or generated in an authentication application, then click Next;
Make sure Mail is checked among the applications to use with your account. You can also choose others, such as Calendars or Notes, but this is not necessary to synchronize your mail;
With Mail 7, the steps are not the same:
• Select Mail> Preferences ... from the Mail menu;
• Go to the Accounts tab;
• Click on + under the list of accounts;
• Make sure Google is selected under Choose an email account to add ...;
• Click on Continue;
• Type your full name under Name: and your Gmail address under Email address;
• Enter your Gmail password when prompted. Type the code received if two-step authentication is enabled for your Gmail account. This is not mandatory, but you can also use an application-specific password to log in;
• Click on Configure;
• Make sure the Mail option is checked under Select the applications to use with your email. You can also synchronize your other Google information such as your contacts, Calendars, and notes if you want;
• Click on Done.
N.B: if you discover that Gmail does not work on your Mac after trying to configure the account and that you have already activated IMAP access, you may need to modify the mail server settings in Mail. IMAP server settings are required to use IMAP with Gmail. To use Gmail via POP, you must activate POP via your Gmail account and you must enter the Gmail POP server settings in Mail after having activated POP via your Gmail account.
Other ways to access Gmail
Several free Mac email clients can be used to download and send email through your Gmail account to say that Mail isn't the only way you can access Gmail on a Mac. The installation instructions for these email clients are not the same as those described above, but they are very similar and require the same IMAP and POP server information as those mentioned above.
Access to Gmail.com is a way to access Gmail on your Mac. Don't be shy about the mail server or download settings when you send and receive Gmail messages through a URL browser as this normally works in Safari and other web browsers you might use.
It's not difficult to configure the Mail app to access Gmail. In this article you have the instructions that you must follow if you want to achieve this configuration. You have in this article many other ways that can allow you to access your Gmail account.